When we moved to London from the sticks, I had the feeling we were moving to a mass of sprawling concrete. Goodbye, soft tussocks of mossy grass. Farewell, well-tended front gardens brimming with old-fashioned favourites. Hello, buddleja growing out of railway bridges.
I'm delighted to say that this was a ridiculous and foolish assumption. On my way to the station I have to stand on tiptoes to fully appreciate the beautiful lilac bush that wafts its heavenly scent my way. This morning I took a stroll along the A20 (to the Post Office, not because I thought it would be pleasant) and was constantly stopping to admire the flowers. Here are a few of the sights (taken on my phone, and it was windy, so excuse the quality):
Lovely lilac. Not the one I usually stop to smell, as this morning that one had the distinct aroma of marijuana. I cannot explain this fact, at least not using my horticultural knowledge.
Beautiful blossom (hope you're enjoying the aliteration). Blossom identification is a real personal weakness, so I shall only venture that this is cherry. Any further information is very welcome.
They even have bluebells in the city! Bins in the background for added urban authenticity.
Seductive ceanothus, which has been tirelessly putting on a rather show-stopping display now for several weeks.
So it seems there's plenty to keep me interested. And I don't even mind buddleja really - I quite admire the way it clings on to the tiniest crevice, and the butterflies and bees love it. I did once hear it described as the pigeon of the garden design world, which seemed rather cruel to buddleja and pigeons alike. Expect a post championing one or both over the next few weeks when the butterfly bush makes its entrance.




No comments:
Post a Comment