Friday, 16 December 2011

Plant Passions: Climbing Hydrangea

This morning we woke up to snow, which caused the usual excitement. Peering out of the windows I saw the heads of our climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris to give it its proper name), all decorated with ice and water droplets.
They looked like amazing pieces of jewellery, dripping with diamonds. The structure of the climbing hydrangea is well known for being attractive even in winter when the foliage and flowers have gone, but I had never appreciated the frozen flowerheads like this before.  It only adds to my love of this plant. I adore the twinkling star-like flowers peering out at you from a shady wall, as here at Wisley:
And this next one is a bit of a cheat because this photograph is actually of a Hydrangea aspera (Villosa group) at Shuttleworth Gardens, but the flower heads are quite similar. I couldn't get enough of the low winter sunlight filtering through the plant. 
At least three seasons of gorgeousness from one easy plant that will happily scramble up a dull, shady wall? Full marks to the climbing hydrangea.

No comments:

Post a Comment